Tuesday, March 9, 2021

118/180 Back to School... Again

Today begins another chapter in this crazy school year.

Teachers were able to return to teach from their classrooms last week.

I decided to return today.

It's just easier to teach from my classroom.

It really doesn't look like a classroom right now,

more like an empty room with materials packed into tight spaces.

It's been three months since I have been inside Room 27.
I don't think anyone has been inside since we left either.
Just a feeling,
from some evidence.
I've discovered I am better at connecting devices now.
My next goal is connecting them in a way where I can 
share screen one zoom meeting with another.
An odd teacher goal to have,
but this is an odd year.

I ended up with 4 devices turned on. 
I discovered that 3 was enough. 
We used our Math Journals today.
Math is meant to be more concrete,
but today I thought I'd try to take it to paper pencil.
Some students were ready,
others need more experiences
using real objects,
and counting
and touching
and moving.
It was easier to have a tub of bears 
that a group of students 
could touch, and count.
It's more difficult when tubs of bears
have to be separated so that each student
has their own set
and can't share them.

It was a good day.
I was glad to be back in a space I love.
Where I can sing, dance, and teach
without a teen in the next room stating 
that it was too loud or that he couldn't get that
dang song out of his head.

I really can't wait to have students back.
Not sure when or how it will look
but it will be good to start feeling "normal" again
although I don't think teaching and learning
will ever quite be the same.
It will be the same, but different.
Different doesn't have to be bad.

As I was surveying our playground,
I noticed something growing in our milkweed planter box.
Among the dried up milkweed
was a pumpkin plant.
We hadn't planted pumpkins for over 3 years.
Odd and wonderful that something from our past 
come back to life.

Spring is nearly here.

Looking forward to more growth in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment