Wednesday, March 3, 2021

114/180 Read Across America Day #2

I know we are toning down Read Across America Day
and it's connection to Dr. Seuss.
But truth be told,
Read Across America Day is 
celebrated on March 2nd,
Dr. Seuss' birthday.

No politics here.
Just a love of literature.
Despite his personal life and views,
he did write some of the classics 
in children's literature
and many children learned to read
from his books,
and many teachers
taught using his books.

But I have always felt that readers
should be able to choose the books they read.
I have so many, not sure which one I will choose
to read for Emery Park on Thursday?!

In 1986 I was displaced in my first month of teaching
to Broadous Elementary School. 
Third grade.
Room 19.
Tough bunch.
Wonderful bunch.
Humberto entered my class late.
He was one of my quiet, pensive students.
He could also read and write
on grade level,
which made it easier on my first-year teacher self.
After 3rd grade, 
he would come back to visit and help out in class.
Like Ethan, 
Humberto was every teachers' dream student.
Kind, considerate, smart, and helpful.
His big sister was the same way.

I introduced him as my "oldest" student,
he technically is.
What a treat to have someone come
dressed in a big Cat in the Hat hat
and big bow to read in both English and Spanish.
Oh, and Nathalie was sure he was "that guy from Netlfix."
Hmmmm? #thingsIdidnotknowabouthumberto

In the afternoon we were treated with a visit from Miss Glenda, 
all the way from North Carolina!
Glenda and I are friends.
We are friends that have never met face to face 
until our quick Zoom meeting, yesterday.
She belongs to the core of amazing mentors 
I have found virtually
on Facebook.

She shared her wonderful talent of quilting
and the beautiful quilts she had made.

She read the book Mouse Paint.
Students shared their favorite colors.

Then they played with paint too!


It was a nice day on Zoom,
not as nice at home,
but you can't always get what you want,
but you can find special people 
willing to take time out of their busy day
to come on zoom 
to read to children
in East LA.
#grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment