Sunday, March 7, 2021

116/180 Reading Across America Day #4

What a wonderful day of reading!
I started my day by participating 
in my first Community Read In
at my son's school.
When you teach, 
it's hard to take off.
But in Zoom,
things are possible.
I was so excited!
I was assigned to a 2nd Grade 
mild/moderate special education class.
It was absolutely wonderful!
Fun class, fun book, fun activities!
The kids were amazing and I think they had fun too,
I know I did!
So excited to have my favorite artist
and former first grader,
Sebastian read to the class.
He took his break to read to my students,
outside,
holding his phone
in one hand,
and his book,
in the other.
How lucky am I?

I hadn't read Grandfather Twilight 
for years.
Forgot how beautiful the book was
until Sebastian lead us to 
subtle details in the illustration
and called our attention to 
the beauty of each stroke.
That's what you do when you have a creative
eye and see details that so many of us
would miss.
So special to watch him interact with students
encouraging and inspiring them to keep creating
and using their imagination.
I am so glad he does.
His mom would be proud.
She is a former teacher, and a former co-presenter.
And her son knows how to read aloud to four year olds,
and make his former teacher extremely proud. 

Our second readers 
were my dear friend Dr.Gail Ritchie 
and her grandson Rafa,
all the way from Virginia!
I met Gail many moons ago 
when we were brought together by
teacher research, early childhood education,
and lobster dinners in Snowbird, Utah.
We share the same love for teaching and learning,
and Mo Willems books.
So touched that Gail and Rafa 
took time out of their day to partner read.
I have happily followed Rafa on Facebook 
since the day he was born.
I was honored to meet him in the "flesh,"
and someday soon
I'd love to take my boys to meet him and his sister
in DC. 


No comments:

Post a Comment