Monday, March 8, 2021

117/180 Reading Across America Day #5

It was our last day of Read Across America Week.
I volunteered to create the Spirit Week Flyer.
The focus on Dr. Seuss has been 
the subject of controversy,
but my school has had a long tradition
of celebrating the week with certain
expectations.
Change is challenging
so I kept the spirit days as is, 
but we made modifications to the
drawing contest and 
literature selection for readers.
Small changes.

I didn't wear my Cat in the Hat hat,
but I did wear my Thing shirt.
Whatever Seuss may have said,
drew, or had written in his past,
he did write many beloved books for children.
His books helped many learn to read,
and shine the light on topics and themes
that needed to be highlighted.
There are two sides to every story,
and unfortunately we can't hear his side,
but we can control what we read to students 
and make sure that share and teach 
the beauty of diversity.
Today's selections were pretty spot on for my kids.
I wrote the LA Rams last week 
hoping for a player to come and read to students. 
Who we got to come was even better!
Rams Cheerleader Isis kicked off our day
reading a wonderful book celebrating
our similarities and what makes us different.
(I had to write a DonorsChoose project to get that book in my students' hands!)
It was the perfect book for our grade level
and she was friendly and down to earth 
and generous with her time. 
Rampage made a surprise visit too!
#thanksRamsIsisRampage
The first time I stepped foot into Ms. Maureen's drama class
I knew she was something special.
I learned so much by watching her 
teach,
engage,
and entertain
my students.
It didn't surprise me
that she was a NBCT
because accomplished 
teaching is what she does.
I knew she would be a good
zoom reader,
but I didn't know she would be 
THAT GOOD! 
She was.
She's magic like that.
#thankyouwackyandwonderfulfriend

First Rampage and now an alien being from outer space!

No better way to end the week

celebrating and promoting reading

than with the best reader in kindergarten

some 16 years later.

When I was teaching first grade in 2005,

one of the kindergarten teacher came to me

and asked if I could take one of his students

because she was bored in his class

and needed to be challenged.

A year later,

she was on my class list.

Quiet, kind, and considerate

she's now a senior in college!

Alexis continues to challenge herself

by reading to a bunch of preschoolers,

at the end of their day,

outside,

in her pajamas!

#luckyteacherthanksAlex

*If you read about a pajama party, you need to come in your pajamas! 

After a busy week
you would think it would slow down 
on the weekend.
You'd be be wrong.
First stop,
pick up BoyMan for the weekend,
second stop,
take care of that toe infection.
third stop,
prep of Saturday class...
Weekend begins after 11:30 tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a good week!





 


No comments:

Post a Comment