Tuesday, March 2, 2021

113/180 Read Across America Day 1

One of my favorite things to do is read aloud to students.
One of the things I miss most this year is reading aloud in person to students.
It's just different in Zoom.
But we do the best that we can.

It's Read Across America Week.
This week I want to make reading aloud the focus each day.
What a better way to share the love of literacy
and great books with my students
than having my former students
and some special friends
read to them.
I'm excited!
When I was Paola's teacher,
I use to use the PBS show Reading Rainbow 
as a way to take students to places we couldn't
physically go.
LeVar Burton explore all kinds of themes.
Themes that were not as mainstream as they are today.
Will always remember the episode on Chinese New Year.
I had never seen my culture highlighted before.
It was magic
like reading.

First Reader of the Week:
Not Paola,
my first grade student,
fresh from Guatemala,
who spoke no English,
and ended up as my go to 
counsel for special education
guidance and advice.
Not her.
But her oldest child,
Emma,
who not only read fluently,
but with wonderful expression
and intonation that made us
all hungry for tacos.
So proud of her mommy for raising 
such great readers and humans.

I wasn't the only one dazzled by her reading!


Second Reader of the Week:
A Belvedere Alumni!
Ethan was a model ETK student.
He was quiet, 
a little shy,
and the kind of student
that you wish you had a classful of.
He was kind, 
and caring,
and helpful.
We always could count on him
to do the right thing
even at 4.
With a little nudge from mom,
he agreed to read to my students,
which isn't easy when you 
probably have other things
you'd rather do.
But like I said,
we could always count on him.
So proud of this young man
and looking forward to attending
his college graduation someday.
Go Ethan!
Hope it wasn't that bad.
He's so grown up now!
Thanks Ethan for giving back.

Today's Character was David!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment