Saturday, September 17, 2016

WRITE ON!

I have been learning to take a step back this year.
3 and 4 year olds are not kindergarteners.
I love writing,
and I love teaching writing.
My goal is to have them all in writing workshop by the end of the year! 

For now, baby steps.
Instead of daily writing workshop,
we will have a writing workshop center each Friday.
We need to concentrate on oral language, fine motor skills,
and drawing lines and shapes.
Second trimester, I will increase it to 2 days a week.

Even from our first "writing workshop" center 9 days ago,
I have seen improvement.
Growth in drawing.
Growth in holding a pencil.
Growth in language.

I love writing!

I have always LOVED writing in front of the class.
I get to model the entire process of writing.
And the kids get to know me a little better with each writing.

True story! I always share narratives first.
I introduced the word/letter I a week ago. 
Nothing major, just pointed it from time to time.
Today, I intentionally used the word I in my writing.
Then I had them find the word I.

Guess what word came up in writing workshop time unprompted?!

 
I always take dictation as told. It will provide an authentic record of my students' oral language and English Language development.  Many of my students already have speech and language IEPs, so taking dictation will provide me with rich data to plan my instruction.  I decided to use ... as a way to remind me that I prompted for more and if additional information was shared.

I love writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment