Tuesday, September 6, 2016

14/180 DATA WALLS

The new buzzword this year is Data Walls.
I have nothing against data, or walls, ... or showing data on walls,
just not sure how I feel about how we were shown how to create one in our classrooms today at PD.

I have used "Data Walls" for over 20 years.
I just didn't call it that.
I have had students monitor their reading development, and reading levels.
I have had students monitor their growth in writing.
I have not labeled each child as RED, YELLOW, or GREEN.

It would be great if students could see themselves move from the RED (below grade level) zone to the Yellow (approaching grade level), and then reach the GREEN (grade level) at the end of the year.
I have had students do that and shared their data with them.
We celebrate the movement.
We did it individually last year.

Just not sure about displaying the child that may not move from RED all year.
Would it push them to work harder
or would it be another slap in the face as they struggle with the grade level curriculum?

I say this having listened to my former student, now a new ELA middle school teacher, tell me that many of her 7th graders are reading at a K-1 level. What would data walls do for those kids that so behind, that their red card will not likely change this school year... or next?

I think about that.
And although ETK doesn't have the "standard" data used to group students,
we do have data...
we do assess.
We just don't label them.

So as my teaching partner and I come up with an age-appropriate visual for our data wall
(we were thinking about a mountain), we will not color-code our students.
We want our students to see it as a continuum for them to grow.
List goals for them to reach for.
Hopefully it will motivate them.
Wish us luck.

*On a more joyous note:
PAINT.
We paint every week.
Last week was yellow week.
This week is blue.
I love painting!
One of my Picasso's at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment