Thursday, September 22, 2016

26/180 BEST LAID PLANS... BECOME EVEN BETTER!

We are working on colors and shapes.
I found some colored cereal on sale at Target last week.
So I thought, why not use them for a sorting activity during groups.

BEFORE: My vision...
Students would sort the cereal by color.
Students will take out the green ones (last week's color)
Students will count how many greens ones they had.
Students will illustrate.

I envisioned students counting the green ones.
I envisioned drawing circles to match that number.

DURING: My realization...
1.  Students really just wanted to eat the cereal.
2.  Too many steps for an attention span of a few minutes.
3.  How can I make this meaningful data for me and appropriate for them?

REVISION:
Students get some cereal.
Students put cereal on paper.
Students draw a circle (a skill we have been practicing) around each cereal.
Students count.
Students get to eat the cereal.
DONE!

AFTER:
I got a chance to make meaningful observations in:
fine motor skills
number knowledge
1 to 1 correspondence
initiative & following directions








No comments:

Post a Comment