Friday, September 23, 2016

27/180 A WEEK OF MORNING MESSAGES

I have always thought that you could pretty much teach all the literacy standards through Daily News.
I still believe that.
I hadn't started Daily News aka Morning Message with this class, 
but this week I did. 

I will model writing right now, but will gradually release the marker to students as they gain a better understanding of print, letters, sounds, words, and how they work together.

Monday MM Goal: Can you find the letter O?

Tuesday MM Objectives:
Who helps you?
Can you find your name?
Wednesday MM Goals:
Can you name something that is orange?
Can you find the letter O?
Thursday MM Goals?
What is your favorite orange food to eat?
Which food do we like more?
Which food do we like less?
Count. (I didn't write the printed number form, the goal was counting and visual discrimination) 
Friday MM Goals: Review the word/letter I
I wrote short sentences about what I did last night.
Model concept of print: directionality, 1 to 1
Called students to both find the word/letter
and write the word/letter.


2 comments:

  1. Wow-the few moments you spend on Morning Message are powerful! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are! It gets better when they are older. I have pretty much taught every ELA standard through Daily News/Morning Messages! I also use to have my older kids take over the writing and then we look at it as an edit/revision lesson as well!

    ReplyDelete