Friday, September 25, 2020

26/180 Being D's Mom Part 3

My students constantly amaze me.

Even though we are teaching remotely,

and we can't be there to monitor them closely,

I can still tell they are learning and growing.

It's Day 26 and small groups are one of my favorite times.

I get to interact more with them and check for understanding.

Today we made patterns.

They were on task and working independently. #teachergoals

Teaching comes natural to me.

Parenting, not so much.

Or maybe I should say,

parenting is more challenging.

But this week was a good week.

D called to say he got a job!

It's been a tough 6 months.
Trying to get through a pandemic is hard.
It's even harder when you are a 19 year old, 
socially awkward, young man with a disability
trying to find your way in the world.
Online learning wasn't for him.
So he quit school.
Staying cooped up at home with your mom and brother
was even more challenging,
for all involved.
He moved out in July to an assisted living arrangement.
It was tough at first
but he's gotten the hang of it
and enjoys the freedom of being on his own.
And this week, 
he got a job offer!
Small steps celebrated.
#Parentinggoals


No comments:

Post a Comment