Sunday, August 14, 2016

WHEN STUDENT BECOMES TEACHER: Dedicated to the new teacher in Room 228, and all new teachers

Tomorrow is the first official day back for teachers.
Tomorrow teachers will be putting on finishing touches on bulletin boards, gathering first day materials, and getting prepared for the start of another school year.

Tomorrow, my former (Pre-K, K, 1st, and 2nd grade) student Kathleen will walk into her first, First Day of School. 

When I went to Kathleen's middle school graduation, her mother shared with me that her dream was to be a teacher just like me.  When I watched her graduate from high school, she told me she was going to college to be a teacher.  

Nearing the end of college, she made a decision to change her major. Teachers were being laid off and new teachers were having a tough time finding positions. I know this to be true because I had witnessed many of my talented student teachers have a difficult time finding a school (sadly we lost a lot of educators in those years, many who may never return to the classroom). So teaching was put on hold.

After several years giving news reporting a try, Kathleen informed me she was going back to school. She was entering a teacher credentialing program. She was going to follow her dream. She was going to become a teacher. 

Yesterday, I had the privilege of helping her set up her 7th grade, English Language Arts classroom.  I have never taught middle school, but I have been a middle schooler, and barely survived living and raising one. 

I know it will be challenging. I know it will be scary. I know it will be hard work and long hours of grading papers. I know she will go through moments of frustration. I know she will need materials she won't always have. I know she will have students that will make her cry. I know she will be tired, and she may even question if it was the right decision... 

But I also know she will learn more than she ever thought was possible. I know she will find colleagues that will support and collaborate with her. I know she will resourceful and creative. I know she will get to know her students. I know she will be popular with the boys... and the girls. I know she will work hard. I know she will experience moments of magic that will make her smile and sigh. I know she will persevere till winter break. I know she will survive standardize testing, faculty meetings, assemblies, and lack of sleep. I know she will be just fine. 

I know she will make a difference in the lives of her students, families, and community.
I know because all good educators do.
#ProudTeacher

Some essentials for any teacher... a place to plan, the book One, a great teacher resource book for your subject area, teacherspayteachers.com, a cutesy clipboard, and your vitamins!

No comments:

Post a Comment