Wednesday, August 17, 2016

2/180 WHAT I LEARN BY NOT TEACHING: aka The power of observation...

After a free for all (aka free choice centers) yesterday, we were more organized today. Still plenty of choice and play-based, but the kids were in groups and got to go to each center to explore while an adult was there to support them and model how we clean up.

I got to go to the dramatic play area. What did I do there? Played with my students as they guided me into what they wanted me to do and who they wanted me to be.
NASA astronaut playing house...

Lets see, I was a patient and had to get a shot. A doctor/chef took my temperature and listened to my heart. James made me breakfast and Abigail charged me 25 cents for dinner. When I told Damian that I did not eat whole fish, he looked for a "knife" and cut it for me. Oh, and I got a back to school haircut too courtesy of Nathan.

Other than letting my students know when it was time to clean up, I did not formally teach anything at that center. I had the opportunity to play with and learn from every single one of my students in the play area. The time I spent watching, listening, interacting and playing with my students produced insight into their level of development than DIBELS and CELDT ever did! What a treat.  I had the chance to just sit and just watch and listen.  And if you listen close enough, your students will tell you who they are and what they need from you and it doesn't come from a test packet from the State...









No comments:

Post a Comment