Thursday, August 11, 2016

BACK WHERE I STARTED

30 years ago I drove up from San Diego to interview at LAUSD.
As a recent Child Development major, I was looking for a preschool teaching position.
They told me they had none, BUT... "we are hiring elementary school teachers."

I informed them that I did not have a teaching credential for K-6.
Mine was for birth to 5.
LAUSD happily informed me that I did not need any credential to teach in their schools.
What did I know...
I just graduated.
I had student loans.
I wanted a real job.

I walked out at the end of the day with a signed $19,900 a year contract.

I was going to be an LAUSD teacher!

After 29 years of teaching for LAUSD, there was a preschool teaching position available.
And I took it. Hello ETK!

Preschool teacher years 1985-86 @ SDSU's Campus Children Center...


5 comments:

  1. You don't look much older than those adorable little kids you're holding! Preschools loss was a win for lots of Kinder and first grade kids through the years! Have fun with PreK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy! I am excited! It's going to be exhausting because there's no downtime in ETK, but it will be a happy, fun place I hope! (after the first weeks of separation anxiety!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful memories. So glad that you are back to where you started. What a blessing to be back working with those little ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vero! I am very blessed that this opportunity came my way. Made it seem like things were meant to be. Can use a break and chance to do what I love! I hope you have a fabulous year!

      Delete