Sunday, August 28, 2016

HOMEWORK FOR 4 YEAR OLDS?!

I don't want to give homework in ETK.
I think most of my parents would agree.
But... there are those who have already told me that their child is advanced.

I know my students vary in different levels of ability and development.
That's the beauty of having a classroom.
Each child is unique.

After 9 days, I know some students are more "advanced" than others.
I knew day one.
Are they so ahead they will be bored? No.
Do they still need to work on other areas? Yes.
Will they be fine this year in our diverse class? Absolutely.

What I would like to say... (I will in different terms at Back to School Night)...

Dear Parents,
This special ETK program was specifically designed to provide high quality ECE experiences for 4 year old so that they will be kindergarten ready.  Our fully funded, free, all day, program will help build a strong foundation in learning for children that may not have opportunity to quality preschool or be at risk for not succeeding.  In other words, if your child doesn't need a play-based, oral language focused program, there is a waiting list of kids that do.

Sincerely,
ETK Teacher

So back to ETK (Preschool) homework.
This is what we are going to do this week...

  • Nightly Family Reading Log (Just read to your children! It does and will make a difference!)
  • Practice our song/poem of the week with your family (We are singing a Yellow song!)
  • Draw something with a yellow crayon and share/tell what you drew.
  • Bring something yellow to school.
Here is our song for the week:




No comments:

Post a Comment