Friday, August 5, 2016

CLASS OF 2019!

Today was sophomore enrollment.
I have an 10th grader now... WOW!
We fight, bicker, and make up on a daily basis.
I know adolescence is difficult enough without a lecturing, reminding, meddling mom in your life.

I just worry. I worry a lot.
You do that as a parent, and maybe even more so as a parent of a child with special needs.
I'm learning to let go a little... just a little.

I am the teacher, but this summer I have learned a few things from my big boy...
  • I've learned that I can trust him to get to his summer job after summer school on his own.
  • I've learned that he has friends that will listen to him talk anime for hours.
  • I've learned that he although he wants a girlfriend, he does knows how to be a friend to a girl.
  • I've learned that despite angry moments, he does feel remorse afterwards.
  • I've learned that he can be a responsible and dedicated volunteer at the YMCA.
  • I've learned that he has gained a following of 5-7 year olds that adore him.
  • I've learned that he is can talk ACT bus drivers into giving him a ride even when he has no money.
  • I've learned that I need more patience than I have.
  • I've learned that a door slamming doesn't always mean something will break.
  • I've learned that I need to stop when he has had enough.
  • I've learned that I shouldn't expect him to know what I mean.
  • I've learned I need to talk less and show more.
  • I've learned that I should "Trust" more and analyze less.
  • I've learned that we have both come a long way.
Time is going by so fast. I do see you. Although I may not always show it,  I know you have a big heart and kind soul. I am so proud of how far you have come and look forward to new things you will learn and experience this year.
I am still learning...

4 comments: