Sunday, August 14, 2016

BROADWAY BABIES...

I get easily distracted.
Yes, it's true.

The dangerous thing about trying to sort and organize your garage is that after nearly 30 years, there are a lot of things in there that can distract you. Take today for instance...

Alexander Hamilton and our founding fathers are rapping in my ear and I find a box. Not just any box, a box of memories. I find lots of boxes and memories in the garage. So for today I am just going to post photos of one of my obsessions... Broadway Musicals. That's it. Simple.

 

I discovered 1/2 price tickets and Broadway visiting my sister Lisa when she moved to live in New York City. When she went to work, I went to explore. Found myself in the balcony of a beautiful theater on Broadway listening to Marius and Cossette profess their love. I was hooked. It was Les Mis. Several years later, I went back to Broadway and the rest is history.

 Of course I had to share my love of Broadway with any student that would listen. I was Paola's after school caretaker for a year. We listened, sang, and went to see Phantom and Les Mis. When Joseph was heading to Broadway, it made a stop in LA and of course we went. The cast was signing the soundtrack at Virgin Records.  It was her birthday.  Michael Damien gave her a kiss. Fond memories for me.
Sometimes a musical can become an obsession. I saw Scarlett Pimpernel on Broadway by chance and feel in love with the story and music. So when it came to LA, I "needed" to experience it as much as I could. It had a long run. I saw it many times, with different students, and my sister... who also became a little obsessed as well. I took Shirley Jean to stage door to meet the star, Douglas Sills. I would also take her to see Jekyll and Hyde when it came to LA. It wasn't too appropriate for a child, but I had told her so much about it that she felt she had seen it already! 

Some other memories of Broadway I found in the garage... Hairspray with Shirley all grown up.
Lion King with family, friends, and students.
Meeting Aladdin on Broadway with the boys because Spiderman had closed.
Bryce and Matilda... 


There are many more shows in between these... Wicked, Mary Poppins, Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, In the Heights, Miss Saigon, and on and on...
Oh how I love Broadway.
Oh, how I want tickets to Hamilton!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane - Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories of your teaching career as well as your current adventure in TK. I work a friend of yours, Grace Wong, up in the Bay Area and she shared with me your lovely blog. I look forward to reading about your year and maybe "borrowing" a few ideas along the way. :-)
    Heidi Morgan - TK teacher in Castro Valley

    ReplyDelete