Sunday, March 5, 2017

A VERY SPECIAL FAMILY

One October day,
nearly 15 years ago.
I was surprised with a gift.
It was a pretty incredible gift...
Not so much the gift of recognition,
there was a lot of press and media.
I was on the news all day and night.
Reporters came to my house and
followed me in the classroom for months after.
A little overwhelming for an immigrant who spoke no English
and was the first in her family to graduate from college.

And the financial award was very, very, very nice!
It's not everyday some stranger hands you a check for $25,000...
with no strings attached (other than taxes you have to save for)
I was able to buy each student in my class their very favorite hard cover book.
They are sophomores in college now!

I was able to buy 1 season ticket seat with my Dodger buddies!
It was like a dream to be a season ticket holder, even for a few years.

 








I replaced the pipes in my 1939 home with copper!
I invited my colleagues and principal to a Broadway musical after grabbing a slippery shrimp dinner at Yang Chow. I wish I could have invited more because they all inspire me and contributed to who I am as an educator.

Many gifts came that day.
One that I will always cherish and be grateful for was that I could finally share and explain (thanks to the Chinese Newspaper interview)
to my mom that teaching was important. 
I was happy and satisfied doing what I was doing 
despite that fact that I didn't make a lot of money like other family and friend's children.
Teaching was my calling. 
She was able to join me for the awards dinner.
She understood then.
The most cherished gift I received that day was the gift of a network, 
a family of sort, of other educators with the same drive, passion, and commitment to the profession.
They come from different experiences, schools, locations, and communities, 
but we are bonded by that same experience.
They inspire me everyday and I am honored to be a part of their tribe. #POP


At Jackie's Notification!
Milken Family Foundation Photo 
CA Milken Group
With Marilyn and Mindy at their dinner!
Milken Family Foundation Photo 
Jennifer Smith #2's pinning brunch selfie! 
I gained a staff of amazing cheerleaders, friends, and mentors at the Milken Foundation.
They continually nudge and push me to go further and reach higher than I thought possible,
and always with love, friendship, and support.
I have gone out of my comfort zone to live up to "their" expectations of me.

#LuckyDay2002  #MilkenEducator  #TeachersRock #LifeLongLearner


 
My journey in teaching.... Primary Colors


No comments:

Post a Comment