Monday, March 27, 2017

133/180 Obsession with Early Literacy

As an early literacy educator, I have different goals in mind as I work with each student depending on where they are at in their literacy/writing development. Although I have these goals in mind, it is the student that leads me to where I need to go. 

It's an exciting time of the year. So many of my ETK students are making connections. It's what teachers look forward to... witnessing those wonderful connections as they happen!


Today I wanted to share observations from E's journaling.


I'm trying to build E's confidence in his ability to write.
He knows all his letters and many of his sounds.
As he writes, he seeks confirmation.
He has good foundational skills in concept of print and writes going left to right.
I try to model saying your sentence as you write.
I had casually introduced periods during shared writing time today.
I wanted to see if he would remember. He did!


What I love most about this part of the process is that he is monitoring his reading.
When I ask him to reread his sentence, he does going left to right.
But he stops because what he "reads" doesn't match the print!
I love it, because he know it doesn't fit and stops himself.
Once he has spacing, it will make sense!
I'm in no hurry to rush that. It will come when he is ready.

Love watching my students make sense of how literacy works!

No comments:

Post a Comment