Thursday, March 30, 2017

136/180 FRIDAY ON THURSDAY

César Chávez

César Chávez was a very good man.
He helped the workers across the land.

Against bad things, he took a stand.
Let's all work together, hand in hand.

Si, se puede! Yes, we can!


It's been challenging breaking down huge concepts for my ETK kids. I want to inform and expose them to history and important events and people. But like Martin Luther King, Jr., just how much and how to make it age appropriate. 

I found this poem a few years ago and really liked the rhythm of the chant. My ETK kids love it too! I focused on the fact that he helped make life better for farm workers. What talked about who farm workers are and where our produce comes from. The conditions they had to live under and how Cesar tried to make things better for them. That was pretty much it for this stage.

I do miss role playing and dramatizing the events of his life, the reason why we boycotted grapes, the hunger strikes, and such, but they will go into that later when they are ready. I did tell them that the phrase Si se puede was not his, but Dolores Huerta's. Hope they remember that one!

In celebration of Cesar Chavez Day tomorrow, we made a friendship salad.

I asked each family to bring one fruit and one vegetable to share.
We had talked about where produce comes from (market was a popular answer initially).
But now they know that there are hardworking people that have to harvest the crops for us.
We celebrate them too!

SNAPSHOTS FROM OUR CLASS TODAY...
There are different ways of knowing.
We are assessing students for number sense 0-10.
We asked them to draw the amount of circles a specific number represents.
I noticed some kids had difficulty with the paper/pencil task.
So today I asked them to SHOW me what numbers means.
V missed 5 on her paper, but she knew how to count out and show me 5.
#Multiplemeasures #ShowandTell #Differentwaysofknowing

Our seeds are sprouting!
The letter that is the most challenging to connect.
#talentedTAs 
We have this popular ART Center.
It's a real ART center.
Papers, scraps, scissors, markers, glue, crayons, pencils, tape
My TA put up this wonderful bulletin board to show students the many possibilities out there!
#ArtMatters
More art activities...
And a pop of color!
Can you guess our focus word.
Just a quick 5 minute shared reading lesson.
I still have a few students that are not able to distinguish between a letter and #.
Quick activity to check and reinforce the difference.
All artist need a gallery to display their work!
#proudartists #proudteacher




No comments:

Post a Comment