Tuesday, November 2, 2021

53: When Enough is Enough

Sometimes,

no matter how hard you try,

you can't shelter your students

from the world around them.

After 35 years,

there isn't much that shocks me,

but today,

I was shocked...

well maybe heartbroken

is more like it.

During outdoor play,
the students decided to play 
Red Light, Green Light.
I had not taught this yet,
but they lined up on their own.
One child told them
we are going to play the Squid Game.
(I have never seen the Squid Game,
but I did see a parody on SNL).
As he turned to say red light,
he put his hands together
and aimed it like a gun at his classmates.

I knew what he was doing.
I yelled stop before he was able to shoot.

I don't have control over what my kids watch at home.
Nor do I want to censor their home life.
It's not my students fault that the are watching
Squid Games,
but I am pretty sure it is NOT appropriate for 4 year olds.
So what do teachers do?

I gathered them all together,
every single student.
I was a little pissed that for some,
a traditional child's playground game
will now be remembered only as a game
of elimination through violence.

I told them we are going to learn a game.
I told them I was going to teach them the way
I learned it.
And we played.
Red Light, Green Light.
No weapons.
No violence.

I may not be able to control how they play at home,
or on the playground in the future,
but today,
I can.



 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jane. My heart broke a little just now. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete