Sunday, February 7, 2021

98/180 Less is More, but Sometimes, it's More!

You can ask any of my students from White House Place and beyond

and they will concur that I like signing my classes up for presentations.

Whenever there was an opportunity to perform in front of an audience, 

I would sign up my class to participate.

I think deep down I am a director.

I love watching kids perform.

I love watching them overcome their fear of public speaking

because I had to overcome my fear of public speaking.

So maybe,

if they had the chance to feel successful

and comfortable performing in front of others,

they will feel confident enough to express their thoughts and feelings in other aspects of their lives.

I was a shy kid.

But I was thrust out on the stage to recite text for our Black History Program when I was 10.

I never forgot that experience.

So I want my students to have lots of experiences they won't forget either.

Our local district's art branch was looking for submissions for a virtual

Lunar New Year theme gallery.

Bringing Chinese New Year into the classroom has been one of the highlights 

of the year for me.

So to challenge myself,

I signed up,

for both visual and performing arts.

It's not that I couldn't teach students about CNY,

it was how to coordinate a performance when we are virtual.

I had grand visions,

like I do in the classroom,

but this year will be different.

So after stressing out the week as the deadline approached

I decided to just use what I had and do the best that I could

to put together something that would not only allow my students a chance to shine

but that would teach them and others

a little more about what CNY means to those that celebrate it.

Having students say a few words was not too bad,
but having an entire class
during zoom,
dance together
on camera
was another story.
In the end, 
it was adorable,
even with kids coming in and out,
little baby brothers dancing into the shot,
and empty tables and chairs.
It is what it is
and I am so very proud of them all.
They did what they could
and it was enough.

Once the link becomes live on the district
I'll post it.
It was quite an experience
but in the end,
it's something that my students and their families will have
to remind them about this very interesting
and different year of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment