Sunday, February 21, 2021

107/180 What I Miss Most

Friday Highlights:

We shared what we love...

And using construction paper (most everyone found their packet of color construction paper),

we created buildings in small groups. 

So colorful and beautiful!

Love shapes, color, and lines! #elementsofart


We usually say our goodbyes and end class

after our Family Chat,

but on Friday,

I got the feeling some students weren't ready,

I wasn't ready either,

so I stayed on.

N wanted to talk.

She always wants to talk

and I love to hear her talk,

even if it's off topic,

which it is most of the time.

We cleared up the fact that the dog she was talking about today

was NOT the dog I usually see guarding her home.

Then, J and I played virtual filter challenge.

He laughed and talked with me.

He usually isn't very engaged in class, 

but he loves his newly discovered filters!

I don't get the chance to play or chat with N and J during class time.

My buddies and I have been talking a lot

about when and where we can get our

covid vaccines.

Some teachers in other districts have already

completed their two shots.

We are waiting.

As schools, districts, teachers, and parents 

begin to think about the possibility 

of returning to face to face instruction

or not,

I want to focus on what I miss most.

Teaching virtually really doesn't allow you the time you need
to get to know your students on a more personal level. 

You get to know a little about their personalities, 
interests, and some strengths and challenges,
but you are basically "ON" teaching mode 
from the time you sign in until you end class,
and there isn't any 1 to 1 time to chat and establish relationships
like you do when you're at school face to face.

I miss interacting with students when they play on the yard.
I miss drawing with them and chatting about their families.
I miss our conversations about what they want to do when they get home as they paint.
I miss talking to them about their lego, block, and magnetic tile creations.
I miss hearing about their day during writing groups.
I miss learning about what they like and don't like during morning circle.
I miss hearing about their cousins, grandma, tias, and birthday parties.
I miss getting to know who they are a little deeper.

So Friday after N and J signed off,
D showed me what he had been working on 
while I chatted with the others.
It was Sonic.
Then I had to...
I challenged him to write a sentence to go with his picture.
He took the challenge.
I guided him through the process of how to write sonic
using sounds he knew
and NOT to worry 
about the ones he didn't. 
He was able to read it back to me!

I discovered from mom that he draws and draws at home.

He told me that he can draw all the characters

and learned it by watching his cousins draw.

I told him to keep watching and practicing

because he could be an artist when he grows up.

We had a nice conversation about something we both love,

art.

Making connections.

I dropped off an extra sketch pad I had lying around in the house

later in the afternoon.

Every artist needs a sketch pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment