Thursday, February 11, 2021

102/180 Follow the Kids, They Know

I don't really do formal assessments often in class,
but I know they will soon enough,
so I try to keep it informal as long as I can.
But there are times when you need information
or it's an expectation for the school,
so we do them.

I created several activities for students
to demonstrate what they know about number sense
and math operations.
My TA's would lead students 1 to 1
on completing each task, 
while I was going to work on letter and sight word review
with the group waiting...
WAS.
Usually, we break for lunch and they sign back in.
Today, I told them they could stay signed on if they wanted to
and I would start a timer to let them know when it was time to come back.
My camera was off, 
but I noticed two of the students were still on.
They started a conversation.
I know I shouldn't ease drop
but listening to students engage in conversation
is one of my favorite things to do.
Besides,
I can use it as evidence for assessing language!
I also know that there is little time for students to build relationships with each other.
They know their classmates' names,
but without that physical contact on the playground
or in the classroom during center time,
it's really hard to practice social skills and build deeper friendships virtually.

Lately kids have been asking to speak to specific friends at the end of class.
Yesterday, N requested G's attention. 
She wanted to share her baby brother with him.
Today, A wanted to invite E to play dolls with her.
So,
I let them play.
It began with the two of them,
then E signed in,
and then J signed in.
They started playing slime together.
A grabbed her doll and so did E.
They played together
conversing back and forth.
It was beautiful.
It was funny.
It was just what they needed.

It brought them joy.
It brought me joy.
Sometimes, 
you just have to let them lead.
E was the last student to complete her tasks.
I loved watching her solve problems 
and marvel at how she makes sense of the world around her,
It was a good day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment