Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Balloons, Cake, Flowers, Family, and Friends #58

I wasn't planning or expecting much this birthday.

My only wish was for  peace.

It had been quite a challenging week the week before...

and the week before that.

My only wish was for peace.

Not being told I had ruined some teens life

or asked to drive across town 

because there was a rumor of a PS5.

Nope, my only wish was for peace.

What I got was much more than expected.

In my family,
When it's your birthday
you are suppose to honor the person that gave birth to you.
When mom was here
it was "take her to dinner" night.
I didn't mind, 
because it made sense to me.

So to start my birthday weekend,
I donated a pint to Cedars Sinai as I did the year before. 
It was CS that gave me one more birthday with Mom.
I hope I can do the same for someone else's mom.
x
When it's your birthday,
or any time,
you pass by a Trader Joe's,
you should get flowers.
Just get them.
It will make you feel better.
Better yet,
pick up extra to make others feel better too.

It's always nice to start any day, 
but especially your 58th birthday,
with your 4 pound trusted buddy,
walking along the Pacific Ocean,
catching up with a dear friend,
before the crowd comes.
Thank you Laura.
Since I couldn't take Mom to dinner,
I decided to grab some grub 
for my two favorite seniors.
Nana always requests El Pollo Loco,
and Frances isn't too picky, 
so it wasn't too much trouble to pick up lunch for them.
Nana always expects that I will come through with
her Oatmeal cookies 
and my, now her, favorite Starbucks drink,
and I do.
Iced green tea, with guava juice, and 3 stevias.
She doesn't know I substitute the stevia for sugar
and I don't need to tell her.
Free one for me today because it was my birthday!
58 isn't so bad.
Just when you think your day couldn't get any better...
You drive up and see that someone (favorite parent volunteer)
left something for you,
on your lawn, 
and your porch.
Totally unexpected,
just like the Daley girls Happy Birthday Banner 
surprise the day before.
58 is looking better and better.
The rest of my afternoon 
was spent chilling on the couch,
eating leftovers,
and watching the Chiefs beat the Browns,
waiting for cake time.
Those that know me,
know that cake
is a must for birthdays.
When you're a single mommy,
with a teen and a Daniel,
you probably should buy your own cake 
if you want one.
So I did.
But then one arrives from NYC,
and 3 arrive via bundt tree.
Yes, there will be cake.


You know you are lucky 
when you get Facebook greetings 
and happy birthday texts,
and sweet surprise deliveries from
your adult Student-Children too.

I got to end my day
with Zoom Chats with family and friends,
and helping create a GoFundMe
for a sweet friend gone too soon.
It was something I wanted to do,
because it was my birthday,
and I am grateful to have a 58.
Not everyone gets a 58.
I didn't expect much,
I only wanted peace.
I got so much more.
Blessed.

1 comment: