Wednesday, December 2, 2020

68/180 Underwear and Bulldogs

We started our Clothing Study this week.
I'm not going to lie,
it's not my favorite study in our curriculum
BUT...
somehow it's different this year.
Having students learn from home has its advantages... 
like access to closets and dressers!

I read the book Froggy Gets Dressed on Monday.
Froggy is so excited about the snow that he forgets things.
It's a fun book and there are lots of references to clothing.

When I was creating my slide deck for today's lesson
I noticed that our pacing plan didn't include revisiting this story again.
I know we are on a faster pace this year
and very few stories are read or talked about more than once,
but sometimes,
I am not done with the story.
I wasn't done with Froggy Gets Dressed.

The beauty of being a teacher,
is that you should be able to follow your students
not the teachers' guide.
There's no guide to your students.
Each is unique and
has their own pacing plan.
I know it's hard with mandates and pacing plans,
but we are in the business of educating students
and sometimes mandates and pacing plans mean nothing to them.

The skill was retelling.
They are 4.
They are at home.
We retold the story by acting it out
with a clothing scavenger hunt.
We followed the sequence of the story.
We learned to connect vocabulary to concrete items.
We searched,
We found,
We identified,
We laughed.
We made connections.
And we even shared underwear!
(Not wearing it, but showing that we do have some!)
I had as much fun as the kids did.

We are going to the Skirball next week!
Well, virtually.
We will create some amazing art before we go.
So it was materials pick up day,
and materials delivery today.
I was able to fend off an old poodle, (left materials over the fence),
5 children at daycare rushing out to greet me 
(and a Halloween bucket of candy),
5 lazy chihuahua, (walked up to the door), 
and an overweight bulldog (called out pick up).
Worth the "risk" to get amazing materials to students!

I don't recall bulldog encounters in my job description 34 years ago?


1 comment: