Sunday, January 29, 2017

93/180 Early Literacy!

Today I wanted to try guided reading with students that I thought were ready. I have a handful of them that know letters by name, many sounds, a few sight words, and basic concept of print. Our wonderful plant manager found an extra kidney table so that we could replace one of the long rectangle ones. I really like to be able to sit close to students and having conversations about text and the kidney table helps facilitate that!
I used a simple Level A reader.
We did a picture walk, discussed picture cues, and what penguins can do.
I didn't concentrate on decoding, my main focus was concept of print.
Goal for the Day: 1 to 1 correspondence
After we read the book together. They each practiced reading independently.

  

After reading, I asked them to talk about things they can do.
Then I wrote down their words, 
cut each word out while they read them (Reading Recovery Style)
Then I asked the student to put the words in order... and they DID!
Other friends noticed what we were doing and wanted to read too.
So we talked about the pictures and read the text together.
Afterwards, they shared things they can do and I wrote.
I still cut out each word so that they can see words are separate.
But this time...
they had a model to help them match.
 

After they finished their drawing. I had them "read" their sentences.
(Print carries meaning... check!)
Early Literacy makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment