Monday, January 23, 2017

89/180 Rainy Days, Roosters, and a Huge Gift from Google!

It rained all day again.
But it wasn't so bad.
I think the kids missed playing with each other during the weekend.

We began our Chinese New Year week today.
I so enjoy this unit because it exposes my students to my background and culture.

Although Los Angeles is a diverse city, we are segregated in many ways.
I teach in a classroom... school, where students are all from the same culturally background.
All my students are Latino, specifically Mexican.  I love learning about their community and culture. I want them to learn about mine. I know they will realize that we have a lot in common despite our differences. They also get to bang a lot of drums and cymbals, and chase away bad spirits in a Lion costume. How fun is that?!

When I student taught in Sally Tsuchiguchi's kindergarten classroom years ago,
I learned that there is a poem, song, or chant for every topic you can imagine.
If there isn't one, then you can make one up.
I spent many weeks creating poems, songs, and chants in her classroom.
I have used poetry in my classroom every since.

Here is the Chinese New Year poem I created over 20 years ago.
I wanted to incorporate the important elements of the celebration and make it simple enough for my young English learners to understand.
My team partner not only is a chef, but he is quite an artist too! He drew the animals of the zodiac free hand, and then shaded in some of my drawings as well! #luckyteacher #favoriteCNYpoem

***The sun came out at the end of the day. We may go out to play tomorrow! Yay!
***Even more good news was the phone call I received afterschool saying we got a field trip from Google to the California Science Center next month! It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment