Sunday, October 2, 2016

BITTERSWEET SUNDAY...

When I was 8 years old, I made my little sister pick a team.
She chose the Dodgers, but I told her I had already chose them.
They were playing on TV.
I had no idea what baseball was, but I would soon learn.

Many of my childhood summers were spent
sitting in my bathroom,
with the windows open,
radio on,
trying to get Bakersfield feed,
just to listen to the Dodger games.















Vin Scully taught me about the game of baseball.
He painted a picture of what a major league ball park looked like
years before I ever set foot onto a real one (ironically Candlestick Park).
He shared wonderful stories of players past and present.
He was also a history teacher.
He made me fall in love with the game and his words.

When I was in 5th grade,
I impressed the boys with my knowledge of the Dodger line up.
When my sister was at UCLA,
I followed her to class to look at Tim Leary.
When I became a teacher,
I brought baseball into the curriculum
and took my students to Dodger Stadium.
When I became an Aunt
Vin helped ensure my nephew's allegiance.

I love my Dodgers.
I bleed Dodger blue.
It's because of Vin Scully.
For 67 years he has painted pictures and shared stories.
Today is his finally game.
It is our loss.
But we are better for having him in our world.
I know I am.
Thanks Vin.





No comments:

Post a Comment