Monday, October 10, 2016

37.5/180 CONCEPT OF PRINT and TEACHING READING TO 4 YEAR OLDS...

If you know me, you know that Early Childhood Education is one of my passions.
The other is Early Literacy.
I want to keep my ETK class DAP (Developmentally Appropriate Practices)
But I also want to incorporate early literacy skills.
This was my small group activity today. (12 minutes max!)

Our theme is BUILDINGS
This week we are looking at homes, types of houses.
Letter intro: Hh

You can get a lot in 12 minutes!

1. We looked a pictures of different types of houses.
2. I drew a simple rectangle.
3. Students added parts to a house (door, windows, roof, etc.)
4. I wrote the word/letter A and drew a picture of a part of a house. (Talking aloud as I do)
5. I read each sentence with the pointer.
6. Students take a turn reading the sentences using the pointer.
7. Quick word search for the word A.
8. We sit in a circle and play "Pass the plate."
*Students pass the plates around in a circle until I say stop. (I didn't have music available, so I just said "Stop!")
Plates can have letters, numbers, sight words, math problems, question, etc. I wrote the sight words I and A.
Once I say "Stop!" Students who are holding a plate turn it around and read the word.
It's not competitive, so if a child doesn't know it, we say it together. Just practice and exposure in a fun way.
There you go! 12 minutes!

Favorite moments from group today:
One group added tires. James is a big Monster Truck fan, so he insisted the house have tires.


Students found tires on a house amusing while they practice "reading and concept of print."
So I wanted to show them, there are many houses on wheels!
Another favorite moment was when Nathan picture read the sentence and read the word A as "I see a ________."  I didn't interrupt or correct him during his reading. I wanted to praise him first.


Then I helped him focus on the print. He does know the word A, so I just wanted to remind him to check. I love the way he started to read and then stopped and reread from the beginning again.
He's on his way to monitoring his own reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment