Saturday, February 18, 2017

108/180 STORMY FRIDAY...

Another rainy day schedule.
Still struggling, but made it through the day.

Today, I wanted to focus on art.
Art comes in many forms. 
I know that when I do guided or directed art lessons (drawing or making something)
that is is not truly a freedom of expression.
Students can add their individual touches, 
but we are really dictating how to "do" the activity.

Case in point: Zero the Hero.
They all look unique, but were give the same directions.
It's part art, but mostly following the directions.
Now, if I were to just supply the materials and tell them to create a Zero without directions,
that would be art.

When we do art (tools, materials, forms) activities tied to letters, 
it's focus is more on literacy development.
My TA's create activities every week tied to a letter sound.
The students remember every time they see Elmo, that he begins with an E sound,
or R for rainbow.



Today, I just put out materials that we had around and let the kids take over.
No directions.
No teacher leading.
Just stuff...
 And they created some pretty cool pieces of art!

No comments:

Post a Comment