Wednesday, February 15, 2017

106/180 Experiences Matter!

Today was the first of five field trips we have scheduled until the end of the school year.

I know my students are preschoolers (with a few worried parents).
I know that I spend extra time each summer and beyond to write grants to fund field trips.
I know that I have amazing friends that will sit at a computer to input data for me while I am teaching summer school so that I might have a chance to earn a field trip.
I know that some teachers would rather not go on field trips. ("They are too stressful.")

I know that there are times when you might spend nearly 1 1/2 hours in freeway traffic, with a busload of preschoolers, waiting to make an appointment that you know you are already late for, but don't mind getting time cut shorter because you know it's worth it.

Today we spent nearly 1 1/2 hours on the 10 Freeway. We missed 1/3 of our time at the Noah's Ark Gallery at the Skirball.... 

But it didn't matter once we got there. 
The experience of visiting a faraway museum, in an area of the city that is completely new to you, and learning through music, dance, play, story, and discovery is priceless.

I hope my students come back and use their free tickets with their families.
I hope my students know the possibilities out there in their city.
I hope my students continue to travel and experience new places.
I hope my students will remember this experience.
I think they will. 
Not to be a back seat driver or anything, but he stayed in the same slow lane for nearly 15 miles... 
Making lightning in the weather room!
Making music together!
Exploring the room and many materials to play with!
The joys of singing, dancing, and imagining! #ThanksSkirball!

No comments:

Post a Comment