Friday, May 26, 2017

170/180 Connecting Letters to Sounds

Today I wanted to work on connecting sounds to print more formally.
We used whiteboards to review letter formation as a warm up.
Then I used some of the ideas from the McCracken's Spelling book.

Since many of my students know their letters and sounds, 
I want to move towards independent "kidspell" when writing.
I want them to continue to practice oral blending.
I want them start decoding simple CVC words.

Students write sounds they hear in the order they hear them.
Then we practice blending the sounds of each letter.
If students need more support, we move back to oral blending.



I use a lot of support this time around.
I want students to hear and identify sounds before writing the letter.
This will become easier and more independent as they practice.
There's a lot of scaffolding in the earlier stages,
but as students gain more confidence, they take over the process.
I love working with white boards.
They allow students to make mistakes.
It's not permanent!
They allow for individual instruction.
They allow me to model for students.
They allow students the freedom to change their minds.
4 year old N is practicing writing his name.
He has another year with us and is one of our youngest students.
Connecting letters with sounds was not something he is ready for.
#checkbacknextyear #differentiatingwithwhiteboards


No comments:

Post a Comment