Friday, May 5, 2017

155/180 Teacher Appreciation Week_4 When Mentor Becomes the Novice

Today I would like to appreciate the following teachers who not only taught me how to find my teachers' voice but guided me through the process:

Sally, Ken, Harold, Diana, Susan, and Dianne.

I was teaching ungraded primary (PK-2nd grade) at White House Place Primary Center and was a demonstration-observation classroom for early literacy.
One of the groups that visited was LAEP (Los Angeles Educational Partnership).
Dianne Glinos worked for LAEP.
She invited me to check out a teacher network she was involved with.
I had no idea what it was about, but she had me at teacher network.

On a Saturday morning, I drove out to CSUN.
I was introduced to a group of LAUSD teachers.
I "participated" in a video conference (my first)
with teachers from locations across the country.
I had no idea what they were talking about...
or why I was there.

I felt out of my league among these more experienced and
super-smart educators.
I wasn't sure what they were talking about or how I would fit in.
I was a mentor teacher at school, but in this group,
I was the novice.
Teacher networking I knew.
Teacher research, teacher voice, and educational policy, I didn't.
But I was glad I decided to step out of my comfort zone and join the group.
I am so grateful that they let me in.

These amazing people, and teachers, inspired, guided, pushed,
and moved me to another level in my professional development.

I became a teacher researcher because of them.
I lead others to be teacher researchers because of them.
I met and networked with amazing teachers across the country because of them.
I visited NYC, Snowbird Utah, and Bainbridge Island because of them.
I wrote and published articles, essays, and research because of them.
I learned how to speak in front of policymakers and large audience because of them.
I learned not to be afraid to talk about what matters most to teachers because of them.
I learned you can still be a teacher leader and remain in the classroom because of them.
I learned that teachers can have influence on policy because of them.
I learned that the work we do in our classroom needs to be made public.
I learned that I should always wear lipstick when speaking publicly.
I learned what National Board Certification was.
I learned there were many other teaching "nerds" like me.

I gained confidence.
I gained a love for writing about teaching.
I gained opportunities to speak with and work with policy makers.
I gained amazing memories of experiences I never knew existed.
I gained mentors and friends.



Teachers Network Policy Institute LA with Governor of Wyoming.
Harold and Diana behind the Governor.
Kathy and her hubby (left side) We drove back together from Sacramento on 9/11
Ken with the Governor again.
Sally, Susan, and Dianne not pictured.
(Couldn't find one in my stash- sad face)

No comments:

Post a Comment