Sunday, May 7, 2017

156/180 Teacher Appreciation Week_5 MAD SCIENCE!

The last day of Teacher Appreciation Week appreciation goes to a place where I not only taught, 
but learned for 11 years.

I had read about a district school that was going to open in Exposition Park years ago before it was ever completed.  The school would focus on science learning and teaching. It would have strong partnerships with the Exposition Park community, and be a model school.

I wasn't looking for a change when my former student teacher, Ashley,
told me about the science center school.

But the more I read about the school, the more I was drawn to the possibilities...
(The school, named Science Center School initially, then moved towards Mae Jemison Science Center School, and finally Dr. Theodore T. Alexander Science Center School)... emphasizes:

*the study of science and mathematics as the school’s curricular foundation
*the use of technology
*learner-centered and activity- and inquiry-based learning throughout all instruction
*the construction of exhibits, projects and experiments as an important tool for learning its role as an  experimental school
*the professional development of teachers and teachers-in-training 
*developing parent training programs to encourage participation in the school and to
reinforce habits of life long learning in their children 


Our school district had moved into a very scripted reading program at the time and this sounded like an opportunity to go back to teaching through experiences and not one-size fits all scripts.
I also wanted to grow and expand my knowledge base.
Science, Math, and Technology were my weakest subjects.

I went in for an interview.
I demonstrated a lesson.
At the time I was at my 3rd school in 5 years and I wanted roots again.
I accepted the challenge.

In 2004, I was part of a group of teachers that helped open the school.
For the next 11 years, I had the privilege of being educated by passionate and dedicated science educators, practicing scientists, community partners, teachers, and students.

I am not a science, math, and technology expert now.
But I do know more, and am a more effective STEM educator now because of this experience.
And next week, I get to return back to that Exposition Park neighborhood to learn even more. 

Learning from our partners at the Natural History Museum.
When a teaching legend and astronaut comes to share about her experiences.
#BarbaraMorgan
Learning with Sid, the Science Kid and lead by our science king, Dr. Chuck!
#luckystudents #luckyteachers #luckyus
Where I dove into the world of Student-Led Conferences and never looked back!
#thanksAshleyandSarahforjoiningtheexperiment
Problem solving engineers!



Problem solving educators!
Added benefit of having a science center on the same campus as your school!
#sneakpeeks #Endeavour

No comments:

Post a Comment