Tuesday, May 23, 2017

168/180 Word of the Day: CAN

As we near the end of our ETK year,
I want to introduce skills and concepts that will help students make the transition to kindergarten.
We have started moving our focus to:

*recognizing and reading high frequency words
*oral blending CVC words
*decoding CVC words
*concepts of print
*using visual cues with letters and sounds (*reading strategies)
*monitoring reading
(all shown in some form on the video of U's reading today below)

Learning and using the high frequency word: CAN
I changed the first word from we to I to check if students were monitoring their own reading.
Many were!
Using students' interest and observations in literacy.




Highlighting the word can.
For students having difficulty, I write the word next to them as a model.



I asked students some of the things they saw at Cabrillo Beach last week.
I used their responses to create a predictable book.
(***at the beginning of video, D is heard thanking me for including a shark in this book!}
U can identify the word can.
When he comes to a word he doesn't know, he stops! #monitoring
I wanted to focus on using picture cues to help them figure out the words.













No comments:

Post a Comment