Tuesday, November 1, 2016

52/180 Assessment Time

We are nearing the end of our first trimester.
Parent Conferences begin Friday.
My usually routine has been to conduct "traditional" conferences in the fall and then switch to student-led in the spring.  I have always wanted to try just doing student-led conferences period.

With the switch to preK, I will need to simplify the process for students and parents.  I think my co-teaching partner is open to trying some new things so we are going to work on it. I am excited to see how it turns out! Until then, here is a link to how I plan, create, and implement student-led conferences in first grade.

Student-Led Conferences in Primary Grades

It is so much easier when the grade level before your grade also conducts SLC. I was lucky at my former school, all the kinder teachers did do SLC! Change is hard, so not as easy to plea my case at my current school where it hasn't been done before. Small steps...

Our Pumpkin Investigation Unit continues...
 One of our PreK learning standards in Visual Arts is that students are able to draw a circle and lines to create a picture of an object or person.  I think they did a fine job with directed drawing using permanent marker. Then they used liquid color to paint in the colors.
Much more powerful when kids have background knowledge about where pumpkins grow... have touched, smelled, and have access to a real pumpkin to examine.  We will cut them open and see where it goes from there! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Heidi! Are you guys doing student led conferences? I'm going to modify for ETK this year. Excited to try and bring on some new believers!

    ReplyDelete