Monday, August 17, 2020

The Night Before 34...

I love the shiny floors of my 100+ year old school at the beginning of the year. 
It was the first thing I noticed when I moved into my first classroom there 5 years ago. 

It may have been a new location, but at least I knew what to expect. This year we are entering a new world. We may have had a taste of it last spring, but I can tell you, that this first day of school will be like none of the 33 I have had previously.

The empty playground will stay empty at least through fall... and maybe beyond.
The sounds of screaming four-year-olds chasing each other will be replaced by silence. 

My beloved milkweed garden, once home to dozens of monarch larvas, is no more.
We were not here to witness the amazing lifecycle of the butterfly or dig for earthworms this spring.

Entering a freshly cleaned classroom at the end of summer is always so exciting.
All the possibilities of the new school year waiting to happen.
This year may be different, but the possibilities are still there.

Happy 2020 - 2021 School Year!

1 comment:

  1. You will rise, Janie, and you will bring your kids with you. Both you and they will remember this year with awe.

    ReplyDelete