Wednesday, April 26, 2017

149/190 TAKING A DAY... (Teaching & Sub Days)

This year our district is "cracking" down on employee absences...
Which leads me to ask...
Why are we given 10 days to use each year...
But given warnings if we use "too" many of them?

When I started teaching, I was told I had 10 days to use as needed for my health.
I took them all.
First year teaching = mental health days too!

Now I have probably over 133 sick days in my account.
I didn't really use too many days after I found my footing in the classroom,
then I became a single mom of two boys...
and a daughter of a mom that needed chemotherapy.
Today, Daniel got his overdue braces off.
A parent had to be there to pay for his retainers.
A parent has to, or should be, there for his IEP.

I have missed special awards, performances, and Back to School Nights
because I had to be in my own classroom.

Thank goodness I didn't have children when I stayed with my class through the Northridge Earthquake or the LA Riots, but I would have anyway.

Taking a day off shouldn't be questioned if I have the days to spend.
Glad I have administrators that put family first and understand.
I wish all of them did.

Today the braces came off.
Next week retainers.
Two years from now, implants and wisdom teeth!
One day at a time....






No comments:

Post a Comment