Thursday, April 20, 2017

145/180 Moving on... moving up... 35 DAYS till Kindergarten!

We are are working on an Earth Unit this week.

FOCUS for my center today...
The question was: What do you see on Earth?
High Frequency Word: see
COP: sentences are made up of separate words, letters make words, directionality L to R
Literacy Understanding: What I can say, can be written, print carries meaning
I wrote down the students' responses on mini strips as a group.
Then I asked them to illustrate their sentences.
 As they completed their illustrations, they read their sentences as I cut the words out.
As I did in previously,  I wrote a model for students that needed more support when putting words in order. That way, I am able to assess if they can distinguish letters and match print.
 One was able to match print and read the sentence back while pointing to each word and going left to right as he read. He has excellent letter knowledge, but not interested in reading words yet.
 *For the few kids that needed even more support, I had them glue the words directly over the model.
My friend D has excellent letter and sound knowledge. He can read simple sight words too. He put the sentence together the way he wanted to. He read each word correctly. He has 1 to 1 and directionality, but chose to keep it the way it is. 
With the first groups, I did the cutting of the words as students read the sentence. 
A couple of students asked if they could cut up their sentences.
I knew some of the students were ready, but wasn't sure about others.
But in the end, decided to follow the child...
D surprised me! He is learning to write his name and only knows a few letters at most.
But when he started to cut his sentence, I saw that he was able to cut out each word on his own.

He was able to match the words too!
This week he got 2 letters in his name... next week maybe 3?! #stepbystep

My emergent readers, pretty much took over the process. 
They shared their sentences. I wrote them down.
They cut up the sentences between words on their own.
Then they put the words to the sentence in order and read it!
This excites more than they will ever know!
#EarlyLiteracyLuv #Lovemyjob #ETK #Kindergartentransitions
A few of my students wanted to add more to their sentence frame.
Follow the child... and they may surprise you!
Moments like these make my heart sing... 
#GoBrandon!






No comments:

Post a Comment