Friday, September 3, 2021

14: Sensory Matters

 I know everyone is in a hurry to make up for

"Learning Loss," 

but I want to make sure that my kiddos

don't lose out on learning experiences.

Kids need sensory play.

So this year,

I am making a conscious effort to focus more on providing

time and experiences to sensory learning

before we move them to the abstract.

They need to touch, smell, taste, hear, and observe.

It was our culminating project day for red circles,

so we made red pancakes.

Even my new friend (see Day 3) ate one.

He told me he didn't want to eat a pancake before the cooking center,

but I guess it was too tempting.

Today, I noticed my new friend finally

got up during our morning dance and song.

This week,

my new friend moved from the corner chair (that he chose to sit at during class meetings),

to the mat with the rest of his peers.

It was huge!

But I didn't say anything.

I saw him start to wiggle (and dance)

and it made my heart happy.

During outdoor play,

I noticed he began to play with others

rather than play alone.

Huge steps this week for my new friend.

So proud of him.



No comments:

Post a Comment