Monday, April 16, 2018

Day 142a #Year 31 When It's Worth My Time...

One of our coordinators have been dreaming of 
creating a science lab at our school.
We have two empty classrooms available.
We have tons of old science textbooks, materials, and supplies.
He didn't have time to sort, organize, and create the space.
I jumped at the chance to help!

It's only my third year at my school. 
The school is over 100 years old.
I have heard rumors that we had science materials. 
Lots of  science materials. 
Not always usable, but we do have materials.

I wanted to know what we had.

So on Saturday, I grabbed my 17 year old teen
and we went to school.
I didn't ask to get paid.
I didn't expect to get paid.
I wanted to do it.
And when I first saw the "mess," I mean materials, 
and the two classrooms,
I felt inspired and motivated.
It will take some time and hard work,
But-
I saw possibilities.
I understood the vision.
I imagined the learning.
So we started.

I know it's a touchy subject for some teachers... 
Volunteering... working for free... Not getting appreciated for our work... 

I've heard comments come from teachers about other teachers..."Stop working so hard," "You're doing too much," "Don't make others look bad," "She's showing off," "It won't be appreciated," and so on and so on.

In the past few weeks I have seen so many of us fighting in other states for decent wages and being able to make enough to live on a teaching salary. 

I get that. I use to hold a second and even third job in my first years of teaching.
Salary is different. Benefits are different.
I do believe that we should be valued for our time and knowledge.
I do believe we need a fair salary for what we do and what we know.
Being compensated is important.

But I think this is different.
It's outside of classroom hours.
It's a choice.

I never look down on teachers that leave when the bell rings.
As long as they are doing their job, it's all good.
We all have our priorities outside of the classroom too.

I have been extremely lucky this year to have a fabulous team 
that works collaboratively with me so that I don't have to take work home,
but I do, just not as much.
So when something sparks my interest,
I can run with it.
And I did.

I have a few more Saturday mornings open.
I have a teen who likes to work with others.
I have a vision of two working STEAM labs.
I am excited to help make that happen.

I know the lab will be utilized.
I know students and teachers will learn there.
I am thrilled to be on a team that will make that happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment