Monday, December 12, 2016

75/180 4 out of 5

I wrote 5 field trip grants this summer:
-FedCo
-Skirball
-Getty
-Target #1
-Target #2

Very fortunate to get 4/5 of them. Well, the 5th one was on behalf of my co-teacher, so I guess it really shouldn't have counted, but I tried anyway. 

Now I know I shouldn't be greedy, but I would love the opportunity to take my kiddos to the California Science Center again this year. If they were older, I would definitely do the Metro. I miss my old school community partners and the resources that surround Exposition Park.

I truly believe that kids need to be exposed to the entire city. Some kids may never venture out of their neighborhood. I was lucky I got to when I was in elementary school. In fifth grade we even took a plane ride to San Francisco. Wow, those were the days.

Sad that field trips are not a bigger part of the budget. I guess I'll be spending another summer writing more grants for next year... I'm not alone.
Yes, it's worth it. 
Ask Anna Gaiter!

BEST Teacher present!
 One the very same day I got my Target Grant, I got a Christmas card from my former student Kaylen. (See 8/20/16 post) It's not everyday you get a Christmas card from a former student, who is a full time freshmen student, playing full time collegiate football, and majoring in the sciences... during finals week.  I was very honored... and very proud... and very blessed to be able to watch him grow.
#LuckyTeacher #RewardsofTeaching #GoodDay #GoKaylen!


*Last night I got to celebrate my son's 16th birthday with friends that are family, including this group of amazing educators from White House Place Primary Center. (We are missing a few alums)

WHPPC is where I learned to teach, write grants, be a teacher leader, and found life-long friends that were just as passionate about teaching and learning as I was. We have grown up together... gone through ups and downs, weddings, births, adoptions, illness, death, divorce, parenting, retirement, ... and yet they are always there. They are my village. #LoveThem...


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on receiving your grants! Your students are lucky to have such an amazing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heidi!
    Did you apply? it's a great way to get a field trip!
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete